Hydrocarbon Processing Industry & Fossil Fuels
The industry is broadly comprised of three segments: Upstream, in which oil and natural gas is explored for and produced, Midstream, in which the raw materials are transported to refineries, and Downstream, in which the raw products are turned into value-added end-user products such as fuels, plastics, and petrochemicals. Analysis of chemistry and physical properties is essential throughout, from exploration and drilling to refining and delivery of finished products.
Analysis of rocks and raw hydrocarbons, as well as drilling and completion fluids are essential to successful exploration and efficient production.
The chemistry of feedstocks and refined portions demonstrate their purity, process efficiency, and dictate their market value.
- ASTM Committee D02 - Petroleum Products, Liquid Fuels, and Lubricants
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- American Petroleum Institute
- American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers
- Gas Processors Association
- US Department of Energy
- US Energy Information Administration