- Direct Determination of Pb in Whole Blood by Graphite Furnace Atomic Absorption Spectrophotetry (GF-AAS)
- Analysis of ICP-Atomic Emission Spectrometry in Accordance with the ICH Q3D Guideline for Elemental Impurities Using ICPE-9820
- Quantitation of Trace Elements in Blood Using Shimadzu ICPMS-2030 Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer
- EDXRF Analysis of Cd, Hg, and Pb in Blood
- EDXRF Analysis of P, Cl, K and Ca in Blood
The ability to be able to accurately measure, quantify and report toxicology results in an quick and efficient way is important for forensic research, law enforcement agencies, medical examiners and drug testing laboratories. It is important to have quick screening and confirmation methods to decrease the current case loads in laboratories. Shimadzu offers very fast and sensitive approaches for forensic toxicology in a variety of matrices, from volatile drug screening and confirmation to heavy metals and organic drug screening.
Featured Shimadzu Solutions
It is very important to be able to measure heavy metals and toxins for poisioning. Long term exposure and high dosage amounts can lead to poisoning and even death. Shimadzu offers multiple analytical techniques to measure heavy metals and toxins in blood and urine samples ranging from parts per million to parts per billion levels.
Featured Shimadzu Applications
Drug Screening & Confirmation
Drug Screening and confirmation (blood, urine, oral fluids, THC, DOA): With the number of drug cases and intoxications increasing annually, it is important to effectively analyze and measure low levels of designer, medical, and illicit drugs in forensic laboratories.
Shimadzu's UFMS line of mass spectrometers allows for fast, accurate screening and confirmation for many of these drugs. Shimadzu offers not only chromatographic and mass spec solutions for different matrices such as oral fluids, blood, plasma, and urine, but also offers an automated online sample preparation system.
Shimadzu's multiple libraries and databases allow for accurate library searching and similarity score matching for over two thousand compounds. Most of this work has been performed using GC-MS; More recently, there has been a shift to LC-MS/MS due to the faster analysis times and simpler sample preparation.
Featured Shimadzu Applications
- Determination of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol and two of its metabolites in whole blood, plasma and urine by UHPLC-MS/MS using QuEChERS Sample Preparation
- Quick Turnaround Analysis of 8 Drugs for Driver Under Influence Using LDTD-MS/MS System
- Analysis of Ethlyglucuronide and EthlySulfate in Urine, Plasma and Serum by LCMS-8050 using RECIPE ClinMass LC-MS/MS Complete Kit MS8000
- A Novel Platform of On-Line Sample Pre-Treatment and LC-MS/MS Analysis for Screening and Quantitation of Illicit Drugs of Abuse
- Analysis and Quantitation of Cocaine on Currency Using GC-MS/MS
- Analysis of Toxicological Substances in Whole Blood Using Smart Forensic Database
- Quantitation of Ethyl Glucuronide and Ethyl Sulfate in Urine using LC-MS/MS
Volatile Drug Screening & Confirmation
Volatile drug screening and confirmation (BAC). The analysis of ethanol (alcohol) in forensic laboratories is important when analyzing DUI cases. Screening for ethanol is typically done by a breathalyzer and further confirmation is done in a forensic lab with a blood sample. The most widely used method to accurately measure blood alcohol content (BAC) for impairment is using headspace sampling and dual column separation by gas chromatography with flame ionization detection.